Tuesday 17 September 2013

Old School Delights

Is it just me and my unrefined childhood tastebuds, or did the food in my canteen taste awesome? It may be a selective/tampered memory, but in my mind, the 50 cents fried chicken wings, 50 cents fried bee hoon and 50 cents mee rebus were the most awesomely delicious stuff ever. A quick check with my friends reveal that they all thought their canteen food was awesomesauce as well. In a bid to relive those very fond memories of tucking into simple homestyled fare, we dined at Old School Delights. This new-ish casual diner attempts to lead you down the hallways of nostalgia with their hawker heritage dishes and 70's and 80's memorabilia. While they certainly succeed in the knick-knacks department, what with their five-stones, flag erasures, marbles and Donkey card games, the food here was quite the letdown. Most of the stuff seemed to be served up by a novice home cook. It's not terrible, but a lot of their dishes were not even on par with those in the hawker centre, and taking into consideration the higher-than-hawker-centre prices here (which are admittedly cheap by most restaurant standards), I didn't think my money travelled the distance here. If I'm going to eat hawker-styled food in nice digs at higher prices, I'd like the food to be at least on par with those at the hawker centre. I don't mind paying more for a nicer ambience, but I do mind forking out more for sub-par food. Old School Delights 215M Upper Thomson Road





No comments:

Post a Comment